April 09, 2012
Sarajevo - Symbol of Civil Courage
The Duško Kondor Civil Courage Award * is given collectively to the citizens of Sarajevo
The Duško Kondor Award for Civil Courage* is given collectively to the citizens of Sarajevo who lived, were wounded or were killed in Sarajevo during the siege of the city from 6.04.1992 to 29. 02. 1996.
Thoroughly aware of the risks, the citizens of Sarajevo proved their civil courage every day for 1,425 days as follows:
- For four years in living conditions below human standards, they upheld their dignity and the dignity of their city.
- Defying the cold, their hunger, the mortar fire and the snipers with an irresistible sense of humor, they created an atmosphere unique in world history.
- Facing death or bereavement every day, watched by an indifferent Europe and world, they preserved the cosmopolitan and Olympic spirit of Sarajevo.
- In the desolate city their endurance proved the strength of human nature.
- Under tremendous stress they preserved their creativity and their pride.
- All that time of suffering, then like now, they upheld the ideal of a joint and common life by and for all decent and good people in their city.
*This award does not cover the war profiteers or criminals. Whether they have been punished or not, each of them knows that it does not apply to them --and the citizens of Sarajevo know it too.